Every week, I find myself sending a variety of short notes with news and insights from the world of business book publishing. These notes go to authors, friends and colleagues who might benefit. Not quite the depth of one of my research reports, but much of this is little things that aren’t really reported in other places. I thought it might make sense to start sharing some of those nuggets here on the blog under the heading New and Notable.
Every week, I am interested to see what books launch with enough momentum to make it on the Top 50 bestseller list from Bookscan. The service only tracks physical sales, but in the world of business and personal development, physical sales account for 80%-90% of total sales.
- #1 – How to Lead: Wisdom from the World’s Greatest CEOs, Founders, and Game Changers by David Rubenstein – The author is the co-founder of Carlyle Group and he interviews famous individuals from Oprah Winfrey to Warren Buffet to distill the most important lessons of leading.
- #7 – Blood and Oil: Mohammed Bin Salman’s Ruthless Quest For Global Power by Bradley Hope
- #9 – Relationship Grit: a True Story With Lessons to Stay Together, Grow Together, and Thrive Together by Jon Gordon – Yes, Jon Gordon has another book. He released Stay Positive in January, The Garden in June and his latest book makes the Top 10 in its opening week.
- #30 – Building For Everyone: Expand Your Market With Design Practices from Google’s Product Inclusion Team by Annie Jean-Baptiste – I am waiting for my copy of this one. I am very interested to see what I can bring from this book to the world of book publishing.
Two upcoming titles I am watching:
- No Rules Rules: Netflix and the Culture of Reinvention by Reed Hastings – I am naturally interested in what the founder of Netflix has to say. They are calling it an illustrated book on Amazon. It launched on Tuesday and it is #30 on Amazon right now.
- How I Built This: The Unexpected Paths to Success from the World’s Most Inspiring Entrepreneurs by Guy Raz – After his hugely popular podcast by the same name, Raz follows up with a book collecting the best stories and lessons from entrepreneurs he has interviewed. The book launches next Tuesday September 15th and #210 on Amazon right now.
21 Books for a Better You by Kelli Maria Korducki – I am going to write a whole post about this list next week. I highly encourage you to go read it in the meantime.